What personal information do we collect from the people that visit our website?
The personal information that we collect from you depends on your level of engagement with the website. We generally collect the following types of information from anyone who visits our website:
If you choose to create an account on our website, to participate in a forum on the website, to post comments or other content on our website, to send us a communication through the website, to subscribe for a newsletter or other form of electronic communication from us, to participate in a contest or promotion on our website, or to use of our website in other similar ways, we may collect additional information about you, including:
- Your name, address, postal code, email address and phone number. You account name and password.
- If you choose to provide it to us, supplementary information about you, including things like your date of birth, gender, income range, the industry you work in, your current position, your level of customer satisfaction, the products or services that you use and/or prefer, your purchase history with us, time spent on different parts of our website, etc.
- Any other personal information that you include in any content, comment, forum post, communication, account profile or other field on the website.
If you communicate with us for the purpose of purchasing a product or service, or reviewing your account and billing details with us, we may collect your credit card or banking information.
If you contact us by telephone at one of the phone numbers listed on our website, we may record your conversation with us for quality assurance purposes.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use the personal information we collect from you in the following ways:
- To enable the use of some website functions, such as to permit you to participate in our forums, post comments or other content to the website, submit inquiries, subscribe for newsletters, etc.
- To verify your identity.
- To complete a sale or update your account or billing information.
- To personalize your experience and allow us to deliver the type of content, advertising, promotions, products and service offerings in which you are most interested.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To make improvements to the functionality, content and layout of our website, products and services.
- To conduct internal analytics to help us better understand our existing products and services, to develop new products and services, to detect fraud and to improve security.
If you communicate with us through our website, we assume that you consent to receive products, services and information relevant to your communication, including service notifications, personalized content and services, relevant advertising and other communications regarding our products, services, promotions and loyalty programs. You can also expressly consent to receive specific services from us, such as newsletters or marketing communications from us or from our advertisers based on your areas of interest.
Third parties may also collect your personal information directly, under their own privacy policies, when you click on links to third party websites or services on our website.
How do we protect visitor information?
We implement a variety of physical, electronic, contractual and managerial measures to protect the personal information that we collect from loss, theft and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Your personal information is stored on secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
Our website is scanned on a regular basis using industry-standard anti-virus and malware scanning software for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
In some cases, we will disclose your personal information to third-party service providers to perform activities outside of Canada on our behalf. Your personal information may also be transferred outside of Canada for storage and processing. As a result, secure storage, use and access to your personal information may be subject to the laws of those other countries.
What is in it for you?
We rely on your personal information to allow us to deliver website functionality and services that you and our other visitors request and enjoy, to make improvements to our website and services to make them easier to navigate and to customize your experience by delivering content, messages and advertising that are relevant to you.
What if you want to withdraw your consent or change your personal information?
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from newsletters, marketing and/or service email communications from us, please email email@example.com with your request or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” button included in any such communications. In some limited circumstances you may need to call us by telephone to make alternate communication arrangements if you wish to unsubscribe from particular types of communications that we consider essential to delivering services to you that you have requested from us.
If you wish to change your personal information, you may do so by signing into your account on the website and following the links provided there, or by contacting us with your requested changes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to have your personal information deleted from our networks and databases, you may submit your request to email@example.com. While we attempt to honour these requests within a reasonable period of time, note that we may not be able to delete certain types of personal information, particularly if you continue to use our website or services.
We do not control personal information collected by third parties through websites or services linked on our website. You will need to submit separate requests to third parties under their applicable policies in order to make changes to personal information that has been collected by those parties.
You may limit the collection of certain types of personal information on our website and by third-parties linked on our website by disabling cookies in your web browser. However, because we and other third-parties rely on cookies to enable functionality on our websites, disabling cookies is not recommended. If you choose to do so, some elements of our website and services may not function properly.
What is not covered by this Policy?
- Information that is not personally identifiable, including things like the type of browser or operating system that you are using, your network, the web pages you have visited, other web pages that you have visited before and after visiting ours, the type of device you are using to access our website, general location information and other similar types of anonymous or de-identified information.
- Aggregated information that cannot be associated with a specific person, such as demographic statistics about our visitors, average time they spend on our website, etc.
- Business contact information, publicly available information and any other information or circumstance that falls outside the scope of or is exempted by applicable privacy legislation.
How can you contact us?